Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Portrait Project begins...

From a photo taken a year or so ago of one of my best friends and staunchest supporters. This is attempt number two at this photo...much more realistic than the first, but still impressionistic. The paints I used in this one helped, I think. They are Activa InterActive Acrylics. I am not total ly sold on them, but, they ARE formulated to stay workable longer (like oils) with the right technique. The longer workability did, I feel, contribute to the more realistic end product as I could fuss with it more...but I found the paint different enough to be annoying at times too.

For instance, I find the paint to be a bit "plastic-y" right out of the tube, and I am partial to really smooth paint (not thick or heavy-bodied stuff). Using a palette that has a special paper over a sponge helped a bit, as does mixing the paint right out of the tube with water or retarder before using it so it's not so thick and unworkable. After doing that, the only real issue I have is that when you pray the painting down to keep it wet and workable...sometimes a big droplet of water falls on a spot...making the paint so delicate and "workable" that a brushstroke takes ALL the paint off that spot, leaving a totally bare circle of white canvas. A bit of a bummer to correct for, personally...
Attempt number one is VERY impressionistic, but I like it's quick and dirty style anyway. These are both really small. No more than 5" tall and 6 or 7" wide...

No comments:

Post a Comment